Billionaire oilman David Koch used to joke that Koch Industries was “the biggest company you’ve never heard of.” Now the shroud of secrecy has thankfully been lifted, revealing the $55 million that he and his brother Charles have quietly funneled to climate-denial front groups that are working to delay policies and regulations aimed at stopping global warming. A lot can happen in a year. Today, the Kochs are being watched as a prime example of the corporate takeover of government. Their funding and co-opting of the Tea Party movement is now well documented.
Charles G. Koch and David H. Koch have a vested interest in delaying climate action: they’ve made billions from their ownership and control of Koch Industries, an oil corporation that is the second largest privately-held company in America (which also happens to have an especially poor environmental record). It’s timely that more people are now aware of Charles and David Koch and just what they’re up to. A growing awareness of these oil billionaires’ destructive agenda has led to increased scrutiny and resistance from people and organizations all over the United States.
We continue to expose the connections between climate denial front groups and the secretive billionaires who are funding their efforts.
Case Studies: How Does Koch Industries Influence the Climate Debate?
From our 2011 report update:
From our 2010 report:
The Koch brothers, their family members, and their employees direct a web of financing that supports conservative special interest groups and think-tanks, with a strong focus on fighting environmental regulation, opposing clean energy legislation, and easing limits on industrial pollution. This money is typically funneled through one of three “charitable” foundations the Kochs have set up: the Claude R. Lambe Charitable Foundation; the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation; and theDavid H. Koch Charitable Foundation.
Download our previous report (2010)
- Koch Industries: Secretly Funding the Climate Denial Machine (PDF) executive summary
- Koch Industries: Secretly Funding the Climate Denial Machine (PDF) full report
- Koch Industries profile on SourceWatch, a wiki project of the Center for Media and Democracy
- Ongoing blog content on Koch Industries fromThinkProgress, a project of the Center for American Progress Action Fund
- Koch Brothers Exposed video series from Brave New Foundation
- Center for American Progress Action Fund report: The Koch Brothers: What You Need to Know about the Financiers of the Radical Right [PDF]
- Center for Public Integrity report on Koch federal lobbying activity: Koch’s Web of Influence
- Common Cause resources from the Uncloaking the Kochs protest during Koch’s secret strategy meeting in Rancho Mirage, California.
- Ongoing reporting on the Koch brothers from Alternet
- Ongoing reporting on the Koch brothers from The Exiled
- Audio recordings from inside the Koch’s 2011 secret strategy meeting in Vail, CO is available at BradBlog with additional reporting at Mother Jones
How can you help?
By spreading the word to your networks on sites like Facebook and Twitter, you can make more people aware of who the Kochs are and unmask the “experts” who take money from them to write reports and appear on TV questioning the wisdom of taking action to save the climate.